Android Apps|App Development|Business|iOS Apps
October 16, 2018
5 min read
We have all been debating this issue for a while now, whether we are app developers, businesses or the end users- which platform the app should be developed for. Most businesses and developers believe it is beneficial if the app is initially developed for the iOS rather than Android platform. There are reasons obviously, and some of the insights are directly available from the statistics.Before we move on to learning why you should develop your apps for iOS? let’s take a quick look on the essential difference between Apple store and Google Play Store.
App Store vs. Google Play Store
- If statistics are anything to go by, then there are more paid apps in Apple store as compared to Google Play Store. There are close to 2.2 Mn apps in Apple Store of which approximately 12% are paid apps. The average app price is $1.02 while it is $0.49 for the gaming apps. With these paid apps, the store generates a total revenue of $22.6Bn, which is double the revenue generated by the Android store.
- In case of the Apple Store, the images are mostly likely to attract attention as it appears in the first fold itself. That is not the case in the Google play store, where the images and gallery appear in the second fold. That means, only 27% of the users are likely to scroll down and view the images.
- When it comes to exploring everything about the app, the Apple Store users are more likely to view the video and other details as compared to the Google Play Store users. The Apple video length is approximately 15-30 seconds, and there is a 30% more likeliness in users of Apple clicking on these videos.
- The Android users are more likely to click on read more than the Apple users. They are more interested in how the app works and knowing the description. In case of iOS, the first two lines should tell everything there is about the app, else people are not interested in reading more.
- Apple Store does not offer its users instant apps or does not allow push app installation system, which is offered by the Google app store. In fact, Apple users need to install the entire app to get the check-ins for beta and instant apps.
- Categorizing the apps has been done in a systematic and easy to identify way on the Google Play Store as compared to the Apple Store. Some of the popular categories on Google Play Store include Lifestyle, Education, Entertainment, Business etc. Apple Store was created on the premise “there is an app for everything”.
- When it comes to security, there is no beating the Apple Store. They take their own time to review an app and even scrutinize the app for every factor that can affect the security of the store and the device on which it is installed. Google Play Store on the other hand, houses a lot of low-quality apps and uploads them even when the review and rating process is going on.
- Finally, when it comes to being developer friendly, Google Play Store is considered to be user-friendly. Though Apple Store defines better security, it is the Google Play Store that allows the developer to test their apps and upload it even when it is in the testing stage. The Google Play Store does not reject the apps mercilessly.