Lime is taking the e-scooter revolution to Cape Town: micro-mobility enters South Africa + How to Make an App Like Lime + Develop Alternative of Lime + Create an App like Lime + Apps Like Lime
The popularity of electric scooters all over the world is not surprising for anyone. The electric scooters are especially prevalent with tourists around the world are coming to Cape Town in 2020.
The electric scooter rental company Lime has its fleet in more than 100 cities worldwide and can be used by people with an app on their smartphone. They have now brought revolution to Cape Town. And the Lime stated that the first rentals would be kept at privately-owned locations throughout the city. The Lime app presents locations of scooters near the rider to make it easier for them to find it.
The Lime scooters are available on public pavements in the US and European locations. The scooters can be unlocked with the app and ride to the destination and dropped at a charging point. The rental cost is debited from the user’s credit card.
In Africa, Cape Town is helping in leading the way forward in terms of technology and innovation. And Lime’s operations and strategy head Wayne Ting stated that they are excited to be a part of that story. Lime’s mission is to enhance urban living through sustainable, affordable transport. Lime is looking to expanding essential mobility access and lessened carbon emissions to South Africans living in and traveling to Cape Town.
Lime is funded by Uber and Google-parent Alphabet. According to their statement, about one in three scooter rides in 26 of its locations around the world substitutes a trip by car.
A survey was conducted for 4,500 French commuters by a research group. They found that one in five used scooters to get to work or school, while more than 40% of users were out-of-town visitors. If they didn’t have access, 44% of respondents told that they would have preferred walking, 12% would have opted for cycling and 30% would have used public transport.
These findings pitched suspicion on claims that electric scooters decrease car traffic, though consulting firm McKinsey said they had the potential to reduce car traffic and carbon emissions.
In a McKinsey report, it was stated that micro-mobility could probably incorporate all customer trips of less than 8km, which value for as much as 50% to 60% of today’s total passenger miles traveled in China, the EU, and the US.
The head of mobility at Ademe, the French government agency for energy efficiency, Jeremie Almosni said that the fact is half of the usage is recreational and it is striking. This is definitely a way to get more people to use it and favors a more mixed-use of transport. This can also encourage people to give up cars.
Electric bike safety rules in South Africa:
The rules for safety in South Africa are as follows:
- People are allowed to ride in the allocated bike lanes and concrete bike paths when available.
- Riders have to ride in the same direction as the traffic, they cannot ride in the opposite direction.
- The riders can bring a water bottle with them and keep it in the provided water bottle cages.
- Riders are warned of parked cars as doors may open into the street.
- The riders are warned to check over their shoulders before turning or changing lanes.
- The riders are encouraged to use the equipped bungee with rack and affix belongings securely so straps do not impede wheel or get caught up in the wheel.
- The riders must carry photo ID at all times while riding the e-scooters.
- They are encouraged to Carry health insurance information and any travel insurance at all times.
- The riders can either ride alone or in groups.
- They are encouraged to use approved routes to automobile traffic and ensure safety.
Here are a few things which are discouraged while riding the electric bikes in South Africa:
- The bikes cannot be used for beaches or public promenade. There is a fine charged if people are caught doing it.
- Any individual below 18 years of age is not allowed to ride the electric bikes.
- The riders if have any existing physical or mental condition that would prohibit Rider from safely operating the Bike are not allowed to use the electric bikes.
- The riders are not allowed to ride carrying something that could not let them drive safely.
- The drivers are discouraged to drive the electric bikes under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or any other substance that impair Rider’s ability to safely operate the Bike.
- The use of smartphones while riding the electric bikes is also prohibited as it distracts the driver from the safe operation of the bike.
- The driver is not allowed to wear a headset, earplugs in, or earphones covering, resting on, or inserted in, both ears while driving.
So, basically, South Africa has enacted all the safety laws for the riders before letting them use the e-scooters and electric bikes to avoid the mishaps that have occurred previously with the adoption of electric vehicles in the US and many other areas around the world.
Develop Alternative app of Lime, How to Make an e scooter App Like Lime, Lime alternative app features to consider
Easiest and most affordable way to develop e-scooter app in Africa
South Africa, especially Cape Town can be your next hot destination for starting an e-scooter business as they are welcoming these electric vehicles with open arms. The only thing that slows you down is the technology- don’t worry, we have got it covered for you with our white label solution Rohak.
Using Rohak you can not only start by hitting the road but we can also help you to get detailed market research for your electric scooter rental business. We can help you with the latest technologies like IoT and amazing features for your scooter rental app.
To know more about the features and working of Rohak, visit our e-scooter app development page or connect with us for a free consultation session. If interested in the white label solutions or micro-mobility, you can also ask us for a free consultation session.
Note: We do not make clones of any exact application, clone means to us is how better we can execute your app idea with existing app features and experience.
Segway-Ninebot launches automatic e-scooter: Future scope in e-scooter rental business with enhanced hardware and app with futuristics features
Segway-Ninebot has launched automatic e-scooter which exhibits the future scope in e-scooter rental business with proper hardware and futuristics technique of e-scooter app development.
An ultimate business guide from market leaders to start an e-scooter sharing business in Montreal, Canada
With many Canadian cities legalizing the use of e-scooters on public roads, the Canadian micro-mobility market is going through halcyon days. Many big players like Lime, Bird, and Jump have…
A comprehensive guide to building an e-scooter app like Lime with dedicated e-scooter app features for all 4 major user groups + How to Make an App Like Lime + Create an App like Lime + Apps Like Lime + Develop Alternative of Lime
Lime which is active in 50 cities across 20 European, the Middle East and Asian countries has rolled out a much-awaited ‘Group Ride’ feature allowing users to book and unlock…
How to develop on-demand e-scooter application like Neuron Mobility in Singapore
Recently Singapore based mobility startup Neuron Mobility along with Australian startup Ride secured Six months pilot to operate their e-scooters in the sections of Adelaide’s metropolitan coastline in Australia to…
6 Trends Transforming The Education System Due To COVID – 19
COVID-19, notwithstanding its destruction, internationally has taught ed-tech organizations exercises forever. The most convincing learning among teachers and ed-tech organizations that grasped innovation to change learning is that it isn’t…
Why did OFO, a bicycle-sharing company fail? lessons to learn from the failure story of OFO before going for e-scooter app development + Create an App like Ofo + How to Make an App Like Ofo + Apps Like Ofo + Develop Alternative of Ofo
Ofo, an Alibaba-backed bicycle-sharing company failed because of its 3 major mistakes. Know the failure story of Ofo before going for e-scooter app development.