Why Node.js 10 is Going to Rule the Enterprise Application in 2018?
Posted on May 11, 2018 By Vishal Virani
It’s 9 years since Node.js came into existence, and each year it seems to be going strong. Node.js has served to be a strong base for several web applications and solutions.
The Node.js application development is going strong with the 8.8 Node instances online along with a strong Node community, which backs the developers in times of need.
There are a lot of enterprises that are backing their web applications with Node.js. In fact, for most of them, Node.js is their primary production framework. There is a reason why Node.js has become more important than you had imagined.
Why Node.js is important?
- Node.js, unlike other frameworks, executes the I/O processes asynchronously. This calls for well-optimized and fast processes in turn. This is one of the reasons why Node.js is popular among web developers. The framework can handle large scale of data, and can read/write the streams to websockets just as well as they would to the HTTP. This means, the read/write along the websockets helps unleash the output in real-time.
- With Node.js Paypal was able to double their requests per second, and reduce the overall response time by 35%
- js asynchronous I/O allowed Walmart to introduce some interesting features. Even on a busy day like Black Friday, the servers did not go beyond 1% with the CPU usage, and their Node.js based application performed like a pro
- Developing applications with Node.js is easy. What you really do is write applications using small modules and then pipe them together. So, when you have to change a particular functionality, you just need to pick the module that owns it and change it. You won’t need to go through the entire code base to make minute changes.
- Event-driven architecture is yet another reason why the Node.js is popular with enterprises. The fast execution and high performance of the Node applications is because of the event loop. It is because of the event driven architecture that the I/O operates asynchronously.
What happens in this case?
The asynchronous task is sent through an event loop with a callback function. Once this is done, it begins executing the program. Once the async process is completed, the event loop executes the callback function. Node.js registers with the operating system, and when the connection is made or the callback executed, the operating system will notify the Node application. At the end of all the callbacks, Node.js exits the event loop.
What’s new in the Node.js 10?
Everyone has been talking about the Node v10 since long. Released in April 2018, this is definitely a revolutionizing version, as it has introduced new programming features and functionality.
- HTTP/2 stable support: The HTTP/2 was introduced in the Node.js version 8. However, the stable HPPT/2 has been introduced with Node core in the version 10. HTTP/2 allows you to use the existing connection made by the server to send in multiple requests. If you use the HTTP/2 in microservices environment, your application won’t be disturbed by the Node processes.
- When you load multiple HTML script files to the browser, they were not considered as modules as they were modules within the global namespace. There was the module pattern workaround but, it was hardly convenient and hassle-free. Node.js has introduced a solution to this problem with the ECMAScript Modules. However, the v10 has not introduced a full implementation of ESMs
- Array reduce has grown 10 times faster than what it was when first introduced with the v6.0, specifically for the holey double arrays. With the Node v10, the performance of the async generators as well as the async iteration has improved greatly.
- The error handling has improved effectively with the version 10. You need the error codes which reduce the effort gone into checking the errors continuously
- Performance of the code is a great concern for the developers. With the version 10, they have greater visibility into the code performance and use trace events to find the performance issues. There is an API within this version which allows the user code to enable and disable the trace event during the runtime. This helps greater depth to diagnose the probable issues in the code.
- There is a continued improvement on the security triage in Node v10 for the third party NPM modules
How Enterprises use Node.Js
If you want a Netflix like application for your business, which has a huge amount of content being streamed regularly, you might want to turn to Node.js. The secret of the efficiency of this platform lies in the data handling capability and the massive performance. Enterprises have been using Node.js effectively to perform a number of tasks, and in some cases as their primary network.
- Netflix has scaled horizontally with Node.js. Live streaming of data over Windows was something that did not work for the company. When Netflix had just started out, there were close to 50 titles, and they would all be streamed over Windows media player. Since Netflix went on Node, it has become productive and efficient. From data access to client logging, everything seems easy with the framework. They have developed a monolithic JVM system which allows them to mutate and access the data with ease.They have broken down the monolith into manageable, smaller pieces, which can be easily run on local machines
- Capital One has invested in Node.js to create an open-source dashboard for their DevOps. They have used the Node.js for front-end as well as back-end of the dashboard. Apart from that, they have used it to define and access the orchestration layer. The front-end and back-end team are integrated as a result of Node.js. Reusability of the modules has heightened with Node.js
- Godaddy and Paypal have also effectively used Node.js for their applications
Uses for Enterprises
- The enterprises can use Node.js to extend the reach of their product. Integrating new data sources for the same is easy with Node.js as all you have to do is disconnect the front-end and back-end of your application. The new data sources are actually new opportunities for the enterprises.
- You can create applications that go beyond the device with Node. For instance, Slack uses Node.js to be available across the devices. The data sync between the devices makes the user know what’s new and what they are supposed to be doing, while on the device of their choice. Node.js allows the application to leverage the OS capabilities
- Data-driven applications: Enterprises loaded with data can create data-driven applications at high speed and performance with Node.js. The framework ensures a direct access to the data to its users.
- Enterprises can dive into developing single page applications or real-time applications with the node framework.
Moving ahead with Node 10
The underlying capabilities of Node.js V10 will largely enhance application development, make it more flexible, and improve the quality of applications. Enterprises will be able to establish their presence and expand their footprints with the help of this new version and its extensive capabilities.
Node.js with its powerful features, reduced response time, and accelerated performance will help enterprises reach the next-gen position with ease. If you want to enhance your business capabilities with Node.js application development, get in touch with us at Coruscate. You can even go through our portfolio to see how we believe in offering simple solutions to your extensive problems with Node.js capabilities. We are waiting to hear from you.
April 23, 2019
3 strategies which make HappyFresh different and successful among other online grocery delivery apps
Amongst the digitalization taking place in each and every industry, there have been many online grocery delivery apps coming up in the market. People prefer getting their groceries delivered at …
Posted by Rahul Patel
April 20, 2019
Your idea for building a homestay app like Airbnb could make you the next unicorn in the travel and hospitality industry
Want to build app like airbnb? Know how you can be the unicorn of Travel and hospitality industry and earn huge profit from app like Airbnb. Travel and tourism …
Posted by Rahul Shingala
April 20, 2019
Horoscope app development: make big money through online astrology app, Co-star app has raised $5 million to venture into the android market
In this technology-driven era, artificial intelligence (AI) is trending almost everywhere. Over the years, it has become a powerful and popular technology. It has been widely used in the healthcare, …
Posted by Vishal Virani