Due to Covid-19 pandemic, business owners are looking to sell their products online to turn their traditional business into an eCommerce store.
This is why the demand for eCommerce app development has risen post-pandemic.
Despite the increase in eCommerce demand, many businesses are struggling to develop a well-established eCommerce platform.
Even after developing and launching an eCommerce app, businesses are still suffering to increase sales and get valuable customers. This is a major sign of eCommerce app failure.
Our R&D team has thoroughly researched the eCommerce market and some eCommerce apps to get a better understanding and listed some key points.
eCommerce app success rate
The global e-commerce market size was valued at USD 9.09 trillion in 2019 and is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 14.7% from 2020 to 2027. (Source)
- There are approx 12 million - 24 million eCommerce websites available across the entire globe. Less than 1M sites among these sell more than $1000/year.
- By the end of 2022, eCommerce is expected to generate $5.42 Trillion in sales per year.
- By the year 2040, It is predicted that 95% of all purchases will be made through eCommerce.
- As per the statista’s google play statistics, 68.07% of apps never hit the 1000 Download mark.
- The majority of apps will only receive 100-500 downloads.
As per the above stats, it is figured that there is huge scope for your eCommerce business to grow but not everyone can crack the way to have a successful eCommerce app.
Many business owners make some common mistakes with their eCommerce app development. Our research and development team has figured out some reasons why eCommerce apps are failing.
7 reasons why eCommerce app fails
There could be many reasons why an eCommerce fails but here are the main 7 reasons why eCommerce app fails:
1. Wrong choice of the technology stack
- The selection of the right technology stack is undoubtedly one of the significant challenges faced by all eCommerce app development services or service providers.
- Without the right technology stack, it is impossible to create an app that appropriately serves the intended purpose of use.
- For example, Magento is ideal for an enterprise-level solution. On the other hand, Shopify is a better choice in the case of an eCommerce app for a small business.
- Thus, it is of immense importance to identify the required functionality of the eCommerce app and select the most appropriate technology stack for developing the app perfectly.
2. Not understanding customer’s needs
- Fulfilling the expectations of customers is the ultimate target of every business.
- Therefore, it is essential to understand what the customers expect from you. So, a significant challenge is understanding the customers’ expectations.
- Moreover, the communication gap in this regard is also a significant obstacle. It is imperative to know that every business and customer’s expectations are unique.
- Thus, the app developers should have a clear idea about the following things to overcome the issue.
3. No cross-platform accessibility
- Nowadays, users tend to access apps from different devices and browsers. Thus, eCommerce app development service providers make sure to offer cross-platform accessibility to the apps.
- It, in turn, happens to be a crucial challenge for app developers to deal with. The developers should ensure that one can seamlessly access the app via diverse operating systems, devices, and browsers.
- It is also challenging for the developers to create the eCommerce app In a way that runs effortlessly regardless of the screen size of the users’ device.
- In today’s world of smartphones, many people tend to access eCommerce apps from their phones. Therefore, the mobile-friendliness of eCommerce apps is a crucial element towards achieving success.
4. Not including the right set of features
- An application is primarily known for its features and functionalities.
- Thus, it becomes crucial to have the right set of features and functionalities in the app, which is another major issue that app developers need to tackle.
- Ecommerce apps need to have some specific features to enhance their usability to a great extent. Here are a few of them.
- Search bar
- Product Catalog
- Wish list
- Shopping cart
- Easy check-out option
- Multiple payment options
- Secured payment gateways
The list of features is expanding daily due to increasing customer demands and competitors. So, including the right set of elements in the app happens to be challenging for the developers again.
5. Not making a website/app SEO friendly
- Every top-performing B2B eCommerce company would know how vital SEO friendliness is for an eCommerce app.
- With stiff market competition, every eCommerce business wants to achieve a top rank on the search engine results page.
- Developing an SEO-friendly eCommerce app is extremely difficult without in-depth knowledge of search engine crawlers’ operations.
- In this regard, it is challenging for the developers to ensure the fast loading speed of the app and keep it free from all sorts of technical glitches to make it SEO-friendly.
6. Neglecting security of app
- The security of apps has been a significant concern over the years, and it has troubled developers significantly.
- The security challenge persists in 2022, with cybercrime increasing at a high rate.
- App developers try to make the best of their possibilities to create apps with the tightest security, but it is always challenging.
- It is crucial that app and data is secure, if the user data gets leaked then eCommerce apps can go down with humongous loss.
These are some major key points on which major eCommerce apps fail. If you want your eCommerce app to be successful then consider these points and follow them properly.
Read more: Complete guide for eCommerce app development
How to make a successful eCommerce app?
We have listed out some tips based on our research to develop a successful eCommerce app besides above mentioned points.
1. User-friendly app design
- Design your eCommerce app in a way that is easy to understand yet uniquely interactive.
- Make clear navigation which is easy to understand. Do not put too much content in one place.
- Follow the path of minimalism. Try to say more in less words that makes your eCommerce app look clean.
- Do not use very bright colors in your eCommerce app, it decreases users screen-time in your app as human-eye don’t want to watch these bright colors for too long.
2. Minimize page load time
- Any user coming to your eCommerce app, does not want to watch a page loader.
- Optimize code, cookies and content of the app to decrease the page loading time. To decrease page loading time, follow these practices:
- Compress image/videos sizes
- Optimize images/videos
- Reduce redirect links
- Enable cache, cookies, etc.
- Avoid inline JS and CSS files
and many more.
3. Easy payment methods
- Behind every eCommerce app development, there is a purpose of increasing the sales and revenue.
- If you are able to bring visitors to your eCommerce app, then turning them into customers or buyers is a hard task to do.
- Products, designing of apps and easy navigation help to attract customers to buy products but if there is not a convenient method for payment and shipping.
- Use Payment integrations wisely which are easy to use and offer as many payment methods as possible to your customers.
4. Keep up with the trends
- Stay up to date with trends and integrate them to your eCommerce app store.
- Users don’t want to use or see something which is old-fashioned or outdated.
- That is why it is important to know what is going on in the market. Keep a constant eye on your market competitors and bridge the gap by overcoming their weaknesses.
This practice will help your business to retain users for your eCommerce app.
Know how we revamped an existing eCommerce app and generate great revenue for our client at Coruscate
- Client reached out to us with his existing eCommerce which was developed to sell clothes online.
- As his app was not performing well and was facing many issues such as app crashdown, longer page loading time, considerable number of failed payments, increased bounce rate and what not.
- Client wanted to fix all such problems by revamping his existing eCommerce application.
- When a client approached us with such problems, our R&D team conducted thorough research on app requirements, business requirements and market requirements.
- After that, our team found the pain points that needed to be improvised in order to revamp this app.
- We changed the UI UX of this eCommerce app and made it more simple yet attractive, minimalistic and user friendly.
- After that we focused on the caching and browsing side of the online eCommerce app to reduce the page loading time for users.
- We made navigation easy for users which also helped us to reduce the redirections of the app.
- We removed some outdated features and implemented new ones to keep up with the trend.
- We chose third-party API integrations very carefully for GPS, Payments, etc.
- Client was very satisfied with the revamped application and after 4-5 months clients contacted us again to let us know how he was earning great revenue from the eCommerce app.
All set to make an eCommerce app for your business?
Do you want to know how much it costs to develop an eCommerce app?